March 2, 2012

Playdough Fun.

  I have recently discovered an age old genius parenting move.  (Thanks Pinterest!)  It requires only 15 minutes of prep a week, and the kids (and me too.  not gonna lie.) are entertained for hours.

Home made playdough.

We make jewelry, we make cookies, we make big globs of five colors all squished together. (Which I don’t mind because, hey, it only takes 15 minutes to make all new colors!  They love it.

Also, the smell of homemade playdough takes me right back to age four.

 

IMG_3770

 

 

IMG_3772

 

 

IMG_3779

She is such a goof.  Not a clue where she got it from.

IMG_1736

Very serious work.

IMG_3778

 

I am having so much fun now that Sylvie is old enough, and we have Bella, to do crafts with!  We come up with something crafty to do most every day, and I’m pretty sure I have just as much fun as them.  Love being a mama.  Love it.

 

P.S.  Here is the recipe I use.  I got it from Skip To My Lou.

 

Ingredients needed:

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tarter
  • 1 teaspoon oil
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • food coloring

  1. Combine all ingredients (except food coloring) in a medium-sized saucepan.
  2. Stir over medium heat until smooth.
  3. Stir continuously until the dough balls (about 1-2 minutes).  Remove from    heat.
  4. When dough is cool enough to handle, knead until smooth.
  5. Form into a ball.
  6. Divide into as many colors as you’d like to make.  A single batch makes a good amount for four colors.
  7. Add food coloring to the divided dough.  Gel food coloring works quite well.  I have not tried liquid food coloring.
  8. Knead the food coloring into the dough. To protect your counter top, knead over wax paper.  To protect your hands, wear plastic or rubber gloves, if you have them (you could also put the dough and food coloring inside a ziplock bag and have the kids squish it around inside).
  9. When the dough is a consistent color, ball and set aside.
  10. Repeat with the rest of your colors.
  11. Put the dough in separate containers.  Toddler-sized snack containers are a good size, and I have also wrapped the colors individually in wax paper and stored in zip-lock baggies.
  12. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.  It will stay soft for several weeks if stored airtight.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! My mom used to always make homemade play dough with us when we were little. Such special memories!
    I'm actually going to be watching my little siblings for a couple of days over spring break and am looking for some fun, cheap activities to do with them - I'll certainly put this one on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are really into play dough at our house too! So fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails