March 27, 2012

That would make six, right?

Well, we went and met the kids on Sunday.

(I don’t even know how to refer to these beautiful children.  Certainly not yet my kids, not their kids….hmmm.)

We took a few candid photos, but unfortunately nothing that is faceless enough that I feel comfortable posting.  Just take my word for it.  They are beautiful.

Their ages are slightly (?) different than we were originally told, which will not surprise any of you who are seasoned in ‘the system.’  As of next month, they will actually be 7, 6, 5, and 3.  Which would mean that as of October we would have kids ages 7, 6, 5, 3, 3, and 1.  I can’t believe I even just typed that.  Someone should seriously either give me a strong slap or a strong drink.  Seriously.

 

I know what you want to know.  You want to know, did I look at them and say, “Yup, these are my kids.”

I’m hesitant to say that.  Only because I’m trying not to let my heart get ahead of the reality of where we are – there is a lot to consider. 

Did I fall in love with them?  Yes.  Would I have them move in tomorrow if the opportunity were there?  Probably.  But that doesn’t seem altogether wise.

 

They were all so sweet.  I know, I know, all you foster parents are saying, “Well, of course they were Maggie.”  But they’ve been in the same foster home for a year now, and have not exhibited any behaviors.  NONE.  How that’s possible coming from their circumstances, I’m not sure.  I’m not naïve enough to think we would never see any repercussions of their past, I would expect to, but seriously, a year and no behaviors?

Our worker, who has been doing this for 20 years, said that these are the sweetest kids she’s ever had on her caseload.

 

We went over and played for about an hour.  Sylvia was so enamored by all the new toys that I’m not sure she even interacted much.  We all sat down on the driveway and had popsicles and showed each other our funny colored tongues.  Sylvia squeezed her little tush in-between two of the kids to be sure she was a part of the circle too.  Naomi was passed between about four different laps.  It was fun.

I was also so surreal.  How do you go about meeting what may be your next four forever children?  I was like someone had just hit fast-forward, or is it rewind?  With a little pause in there too?  Surreal.

 

So, we have decided to move forward from here.

Next we will do an overnight visit sometime in the next couple of weeks.  Moving forward from there would be a couple of weekend visits, likely in May.  Moving forward from there would be the kids moving in with us near the end of May or beginning of June.

 

There hasn’t been a termination hearing yet.  It is scheduled for July.  Mom and Dad are absolutely not options at this point, so the only way it wouldn’t go to adoption is if another relative came up who was appropriate.  So far they’ve been through three relatives that were hands down no’s, with no appeals.  Even so, we have to be, and are, ready and willing to be foster parents for these kids.  If something comes up for them that isn’t us adopting them, we will give our support.

 

So, we’re looking at 8 passenger mini-vans, and shoot, 12 passenger vans too.

 

I’m so humbled to be here.

12 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness, Maggie! I'm so curious to learn more . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure how I missed the other post about these kiddos but I am caught up now and VERY excited for you and your family. I love, LOVE your heart for following Christ. My hubby and I adopted four children from foster care and it is such a blessing. Not always easy but always a blessing. Can't wait to follow along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen the new Nissan Passenger Van? We want one http://www.nissancommercialvehicles.com/nv-passenger

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! You guys inspire me! I hope you are ready to help with homework. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. UGH~ I'm am so overwhelmed with love this morning because I just heard I get more days with kids that left our home and then to hear this beautiful post is just making me weak in the knees! I feel your heart and I am so thankful for you and your husbands hearts to THINK and not just run on emotion! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your encouragement! Sophie, I'm so encouraged by your story - and so comforted to read about another family who took on four kids at once and survived!
    Jennifer - I have been looking googly eyed at the new Nissan. They will have one at our dealer on April 5th and we are going to test drive it. It's more expensive than getting an 8 passenger, but more functional in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, we have a Toyota Sienna, and with our 5 we still are pretty tight. Ours right now are 7, 4, 4, 2, and 1 and fitting all the car seats is rough. Even once you get them in, for the kids in boosters it is hard for them to get buckled with a car seat right next to them. And, no one ever gets to bring a friend home after school because we are already maxed out :-( Anyway, we are not buying one until we know something a little more about our foster kids' case, but we saving in the meantime :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do realize that this could/will make 19 kids ages 7 and under in our small group right? How awesome is that?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so excited to see what is in store for your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a random blog stalker here... But I just wanted to say that you have been coming to my mind and my prayers since I read your first post about you going to meet the children. My girls are about the ages of yours and we are licensed to fost-adopt so your story seems very close to home to me. I pray God gives you wisdom and guidance during this journey but also peace and confidence in His plan for them and you! You are an inspiration to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting! I totally hear you about the strong slap or strong drink ;) I've had that same thought myself as we start our second adoption process. We just bought our 12 passenger van! So far I love it. So much space, comfortable, lots of power. Plus all the cool kids are doing it. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails