September 19, 2008

A quote...

...that I read some time ago in a book called "Turning Stones" by Marc Parent. This is a quote that jarred me during my time at the Children's Division, and just as much now in becoming a foster parent.

"You hear about children falling through the cracks in the system. Let me tell you something, there is no system, there are only people. Children don't fall through cracks, they fall through fingers."
-Marc Parent

Fingers like yours and mine.
Another author reminded me today of the importance of these kids lives. He said, "Often it has been stated that youth is the nation's greatest asset, but it is more than that, it is the worlds's greatest asset. More than that, it is perhaps the world's only hope." These kids need our help.

2 comments:

  1. Told you I had been meaning to go back and read your whole story! You'll probably be getting some more comments on random OLD posts over the next couple hours!

    This post really just shook me up - that quote is so profound. I have always know it was up to me not to let kids "fall through the cracks" and worked to try not to let that happen. But it also makes me grieve all the ones that have slipped through my fingers...

    Thank God I believe He's got it all under control in the end huh? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails