February 26, 2010

A beautiful mess.

As I was vacuuming yesterday, I noticed something about my house that just didn't seem quite right. I went through the living room and the vacuum didn't pick up any cheerios or raisins. I didn't have to pick all the books up off the floor and put them back on the bookcase in order to vacuum the entryway. I could actually get the vacuum INTO the playroom! That's right folks...
MY HOUSE STAYED CLEAN THIS WEEK!
And I'm just not quite as thrilled as you would think. I've decided that anytime I can go a whole week without the house being completely destroyed - our home is missing something. Soon Sylvia will be making messes all over - that are not of the diaper variety - but this week our house was void of those messes, and I actually missed them. I'm even tempted to call my worker and let her know about this situation that needs to be remedied asap:
Fill our house with whining! Fill it with laughter! Fill it with running! Fill it with naps, snacks, and more poopy diapers! Fill it with messes!

I was explaining all of this to Brian last night over dinner, and he came up with this hypothetical graph (I know you can't believe Brian would do this. In between graphs he mentioned something about his last name being Popp.). I probably rolled my eyes and called him a dork. Anyway, he said that the messes must have direct correlation with the joy in our home. That is until they reach some critical mass where they intersect with my sanity, then the joy begins to decrease even as the messes increase.
Wow. I can't believe I just included that in a blog post. Any of you Popps reading should be proud. Ha!
Overall though, I think he's right. It reminds me of something my mother-in-law told me - The kids remember how much you loved them, not what the living room looked like.

All that to say, I'm looking forward to our next call from the agency saying their sending a little more mess our way.

6 comments:

  1. What a sweet post, Maggie. Hope your house is messy again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, love it. I'm sure you will have another little one in your home soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The graph very much aided my understanding of the situation. But then, I share Brian's last name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your perspective, Maggie! I need to remember that more often....

    ReplyDelete
  5. This Popp is proud - you are really becoming one of us I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate for you to feel deprived of messes and would be happy to share the abundance. You can borrow Anna to mess up your house anytime you'd like. :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails