March 22, 2010

Foolish.

God will never give you more than you can handle with His strength.

How’s that for a cliché?  I don’t think that most people lead lives, by choice, that require them to rely on this idea.  Sometimes when something really terrible happens, or your having a hard week, month, year – this is the line handed to you.  But I don’t think it’s frequent that people choose lifestyles that truly require them to fully rely on God’s strength to get them through the moment.  I think that because people don’t generally make choices that require that kind of dependence on Him, that kind of trust, that when someone does make a choice of that variety – they are looked at as being foolish.  When we actually decide to fully rely on Him, to follow Him wherever he leads us, with no lifeboats stored on board other than His grace, love, and strength – that’s when people start to question if you are being wise, if you really know what you’re getting into, if you can do it.

I want to have to rely on Him to get me through this life He has given me.  I want the peace of knowing that there is nothing I can do to make it work – it’s all Him, and that’s where he gets the glory.

 

We got a call for a placement this afternoon.

And call me crazy.  Call me foolish.  But we said yes.

 

The intake worker called and very hesitantly asked me if I would be interested in hearing about a sibling group that needs a home.  Of course.  They were calling from out of county – they had already exhausted any chance of placing them in a foster home in their home county.  They only have until Friday to find a place for them to go – or it’s likely that they would end up in a homeless shelter for kids.

Four kids.  Ages 2, 4, 6, and 8.  Three boys and one girl.  By Friday we’ll probably be a family of 7.  There are things I’m nervous about.  You know, the kinds of things you’re nervous about when you’re about to add four kids to your family simultaneously.  But I think most of my reservation comes from people acting like we have lost our ever-loving minds when we have told them.

But I’m going to let that go.  I won’t accept that.  God has brought us here, and we’re going to follow in the path he’s given us.  Dependent on Him.  Cause I’m not going to pretend that I think I know what it’s like to have 5 kids.  But He knows what it’s like for me to have 5 kids, and that’s where he’s put us.

 

So here we go, foolishly dependent on the maker of the universe.

 

“For the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength.”

1 Corinthians 1:25

15 comments:

  1. I love your faith! You are trusting God in this new step and He will see you through if you turn to Him. He doesn't promise it will be easy, but He promises to help us. Can't wait to see where this takes you. These kids need you and I am so thankful there are people like you out there that are willing to take on this challenge. Will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm excited for you :-) and to be a Fauntie again! Sorry if I didn't sound enthused on the phone...I was having an I-just-got-off-work-and-feel-like-passing-out moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you're crazy! [Although, I do think you must need less sleep than I do! ;)] But seriously, I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to hear about this new journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is wonderful. The kids are so lucky to be going to a safe and loving home. I will be praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie, I love your blog! I can't wait to hear all about your next adventure. You are really an amazing person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think if anyone can handle this... YOU can. I love following on your journey. It gives me much hope and strength for our foster parent journey. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From another foster mom, I'm praying for you! I tend to say yes everytime they call me and then second guess myself. Your word of wisdom is a great way to think about it. My sister was just reminding me of that last night that God won't give you more than you can handle. I'm struggling with that. We're having a rough patch with our current placement but its just 2 boys. What you wrote is really what I needed to hear right now. Thank you for that.

    Wow, 4 kids at such a small close age. I pray for a smooth transition for you and for you to have enough time to get your house in order. Do you have room for all of them? I'm sorry if I'm asking to much. Lots of hugs your way! you have a stong faith and it will be Ok!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you for being foolish!

    I'm an EXPERT on parenting 5 kids, so ask me anything.

    Oh wait, actually, I lost one of them temporarily today. You probably shouldn't listen to me...

    Seriously though, let us know how things go. Keep a light heart, and I'll pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so encouraging to me Maggie! Thank you! I also wish I was there in KC to bring my kids over and add to your crazy number and maybe help a little. Ha! Ha! As I was reading it so many practical things I would love to do ran through my mind. Start cooking for you, do your grocery run for you, clean your bathroom, etc... Then I thought oh if we were in KC we would probably have a house full of foster kids as well. :-) Miss you guys. So thankful for your blog. I am praying for you! Not just saying that either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hugs, Maggie! I love your perspective (as always).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm offering again to cook for you and help rearrange furniture and do all those things Rivers talked about that I hadn't thought of. I'd even clean your bathroom although I haven't cleaned ours in, oh never mind how long.

    I think God asks us to do things all the time that we can't do apart from his strength and that he will bless and grow your faith for saying yes but that it will also be really, really hard at times. And a complete blast at times, too. I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Foolish? Maybe in the eyes of the world. But you're fulfilling what God has asked you to do and that is way more important. I'm SO happy that you're stepping in and being the parent for these kids that have nothing. That makes me so happy! I hope you have a wonderful couple of days as you prepare for them to enter into your home. I'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is how I feel too, but seldom tell people when they make comments about 'how good a person I am' because I want to foster (uncomfortable!). It isn't about what I can do,it is what God makes happen when I am willing to trust and follow him. I don't want it to sound like my faith is greater than theirs either. Like you said, it is the path He's given us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You will be in my prayers. I think it is wonderful that you said yes, my heart just broke when you said they would have possibly ended up in a shelter. Who could say no!!! I love your blog, it has taught me a lot about fostering which my husband and I have talked about!! God Bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bless your heart, Maggie! By the way, I LOVE that scripture you shared.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails