March 17, 2010

Why Foster?

Good Info to Have:

Adoption Through Foster Care I

I’ve gotten a lot of questions from people who are either pursuing adoption through foster care, or are interested in it.  I’m not a total wealth of information on this topic – I worked as a caseworker for children in care, not as an adoption worker – but I will answer the questions that I can, with the information I have, and maybe point you in the right direction of who to ask for further explanation.

Because I’ve gotten so many e-mails and questions about this, I’ll likely do a few posts on it over time.  I’ll start by letting you know that   I’m a huge proponent for adopting through the foster care system…but you probably could have guessed that.  Adopting privately is also awesome, and is very needed.  Foster kids are just my heart, and given the chance, I’ll advocate for them!

Let’s get to the questions.

Cost.

I’ve gotten several questions about the cost of adoption through foster care.  I only have experience in two different states, so you’ll have to check with your own state’s guidelines – but in my experience:

there is no cost.

This surprises a lot of people.  Particularly because adoption through agencies or internationally is so darn expensive.  However, if you adopt through foster care, the state generally takes care of most everything.  If you are licensed through the state, they pay for your home study, your attorney, and your legal fees – and said licensing is free as well.  Also, you develop what is called an adoption subsidy to cover some future costs that you may need assistance with.  This can include, but is not limited to:  daycare, medical insurance/care, any therapy needed, and any residential care needed. Also – you continue to get the monthly subsidy as adoptive parents that you would get as foster parents.  (Some states do this in a lump sum.)  This is all to help people adopt who may be financially strained.  And in the case you’re not, this is a great start to a college fund.

So, there you have it.  Adoption through foster care generally costs nothing.  So, now click here and go change someone’s life.  Check out these beautiful kids.  They need you.

(Again, I have experience in two states, but laws and guidelines vary from state to state.  If you’re interested, please contact your local state foster care agency to get more specific information.  Please feel free to e-mail me or leave a comment with any other questions, I’ll try my best to get you the answer or point you in the right direction!)

Links:

Foster Care Adoption

Kids Who Need To Be Adopted

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for starting this series! As I mentioned earlier my husband and I are starting the process of adopting a child through foster care. It will be interesting to see how they approach us. In our State the goal of foster care is family reunification - we are essentially going against that. Maybe we can swap notes sometime. In the mean time, are there any books or websites (fostering or adoption centered) that you would recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!

    We found you through the FF and are now following your blog. We look forward to reading more of your posts! Have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Very helpful. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new Resources tab. I'm so impressed...linked to amazon and everything! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad it was helpful! Let me know if there are other things you'd like to see in the resources tab - I'm working on websites right now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails